The Bible Is Already Written  

Posted by Ben in

God is good at correcting me. I'm sure he's good at correcting everyone, but I'll admit to how good He is with me. It often is not a subtle, or even kind correction. It tends to be more like a slap in the head. He's good at that, there's another term for it, i think it's called humbling us.

So, he's been up to it in my heart recently. I notice that far too often it is us as Christians who are the least humble people. Ugh, i hate it. I also hate how much i must own that statement in my own life. If you don't, awesome, but if the shoe fits then wear it.

In Matthew 11:25 Jesus says "I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children"

But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are," - 1Corinthians 1:27-28

These two verses are so true in my life. Jesus also said that those of us who do not accept the Kingdom of God like a little child would not see it. Well, he certainly uses Children to make me see how full of it I am and how little i know. Todd has a 7 year old son, Eli. When my younger brother died, 2 years ago, we had a very small viewing for close family friends because of the severity of the accident and the structural damage to my brother's face. Todd was holding Eli as he stood over and looked at my brother, weeping. I watched as Eli grabbed Todd's face and looked him in the eyes asking "Why are you crying dad? Joey's not there, He's in heaven. Joey's not there dad." Later that week, my girlfriend at the time's little sister, Madison (who is the most adorable girl in the world) said to Sam, "I don't understand why everyone is so sad, I mean, Joey isn't dead, he's in heaven, and we're all going to see him again when we go to heaven."

Wisdom, from the mouth of 6-year olds in the midst of my greatest tragedy. I believe these two experiences helped me get through the tragedy.

Well God continues to use Eli as a tool for shaming Todd and I. Not long after, Todd met me for dinner at school. He told me a recent experience he'd had with Eli. Eli was beginning to understand what it meant to be a disciple of God at his wise age of 6, and realized it meant that we help others regardless of the circumstance and their need, as we have fit to fill the need. Todd was filling up someone's gas tank who was in need of Gas, and Eli realized that this was to help their need. So he said "and if someone needs a car dad we'll give them a car! And... if they need a leg, we'll give them a leg!"

A leg!? Really!? What powerful imagery. I'll never forget a six year old's flawless understanding of our obligation to serve others.

Well, recently was the greatest. Todd was working on a sermon and Eli, being a typical 7 year old, bugged him over and over to wrestle, about 100 times in a matter of 10 minutes. Todd got frustrated and told him that the answer was still the same, and he needed to finish his sermon. Finally Eli left for his room, very frustrated. As he returned minutes later he asked if he could wrestle again, and when confronted with the problem of his father needing to finish writing a sermon, Eli responded with...

"but Dad, isn't the Bible already written?"

Todd put away his notes and wrestled with his son.

This entry was posted on Monday, June 9, 2008 at 12:34 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment