A God Who Answers Prayers  

Posted by Ben in , ,

For those who read my blog, I'm willing to be vulnerable with you. I personally love to read books about God and about the Bible. I love to read the Bible. I love to get to know who God is. However, one thing i struggle with is having a time set aside for God. I'm not big on "the same time every day." For those whom that works for i couldn't be happier that's just not who i am. And don't take that to mean i don't spend time in relationship and in time with God throughout my day, i believe he is with me at every point and I can commune with him at all points in my day, my LIFE is relationship with Him if He is in me. However, I do struggle to take time out of my day to intentionally spend time only with our God. This is something I am working on getting better at, as should we all have an aspect of our relationship we are honest needs improvement, and constantly seek to improve.

Thus i have learned how important prayer is. I drove home last week and on my trip i got bored of my extensive CD collection and decided to play the "radio game." I was suddenly bored of that after about 15 minutes and i stumbled onto a Christian station where a preacher was preaching (imagine that). He was preaching on why we should be a people who pray. Why prayer is so important to the Christian Life. It was a great message and I spent a good while listening to him. His final point was that when we pray, we receive or partake in the power of God. Eventually the sermon was done and i put a CD in and began to cruise some more. I kept rolling this idea over in my mind, partaking in and receiving the power of God.

One of the things i have done to boost my prayer life is to keep an active prayer list of everyone i wish to pray for. There have been a great many people whom I've added to it over the past few months. A lot of them are the people i spoke of in my Chicken & Cigarettes series. Three in particular. Emily, George, and Anthony.

I got in late that night to Galen's house and got to sleep. The next day we got up and moseyed around the house a bit before heading off to Baltimore with his girl, Jessica, and another guy named Wyatt. We had high hopes of seeing these three people!

We got there and we talked to the woman who, with anthony, supplied our blankets the night we stayed there. She informed us that George and Anthony would not be in til later since they were at their jobs, full time jobs! She also told us that Emily was not living there any longer, as she was now living in an apartment in a senior apartment complex!

We pray for a lot of things and i watched a video on youtube that said Christians "count the .1% of answered prayers as "God answering prayer" and the 99.9% of prayers which are not answered as "God just said no because he knows best" and that it's our "scapegoat" or "copout."

The Jesus Creed has a chapter in it entitled "Praying the Jesus Creed" all about Jesus' Prayer which he teaches the disciples. And how it is a practical outlet of the command to "love your neighbor as yourself," as it fit well into Scot's definition of Love. If Love is an action of one to another which seeks to help see the other become who God desires them to be, then prayer must be a way of doing such. Jesus teaches us to pray for not ourselves, but for ourselves AND others. To pray for the things God ALREADY WANTS TO DO in their lives. Prayer is an active part of our surrender to God, to His will. It is an active part of loving God and loving others. When we pray, we submit to God's will, and love others, by praying that God would provide those things for others which he already desires to do/provide.

"Give US this day our DAILY BREAD"
"Forgive US our transgressions"
"Lead US not into temptation"
"Deliver US from evil."

These are the requests Jesus taught us to make of our heavenly Father. Maybe we aren't always praying about the right things, maybe they are our desires, and not part of God's already sovereign will. Maybe our prayers are not part of actively loving others, of helping to shape them into who God desires them to be. I believe praying for a home, for a job as an active member of society, and to eventually see those on the margins brought back into active membership in the beloved community are those things in God's will for all of humanity. And thus, prayers were answered that day in the park. We did not get to see any of the three we most longed to see, because God doesn't answer prayers to see people out of OUR desires, he answers the prayers for others which are shaping them into God's new creation. He answered prayers, and we did not get to see them because they had either a home or a full time job. Praise God.

Leave comments!
Tell me about some prayers God has answered in your life...

This entry was posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 at 12:22 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment